Monday, May 30, 2011

Nest In The Wind

By NO SWEAT
Robbie Robbins 

That year before he died Heitzman told me that he would not have lived as long as he had if he had not had pigeons.

Now, so many years later, I stood an old man myself looking at a mated pair of pigeons sitting in the same nest. The pair had their backs turned to me and they reminded me of two lovers sitting side by side at some Drive In picture show.

It was breeding season and from time to time I caught a mated pair sitting in the same nest guarding over their eggs and sometimes their babies. There is something quite special about seeing a pair of pigeons so close doing this. Particularly in our fast and ever changing and seemingly colder world.

It was wonderful to see some genuine and tender love still existent. Two feathered souls dedicated to one another. After all the blare of who is best in our poor sport, moments like this are really what its all about.

Both of my parents had been alcoholics. Their rages late into the night tormented me and sometimes still do. But they loved each other in such a powerful way that was brutal. My dad would sometimes take mom and bend her over backwards and give her the biggest kiss you could imagine. And when they took the dance floor it was as though they were there by themselves. Those moments erased the raging nights.  ... Love does that ...

And when I stood there seeing that pair nestled together as though they were whispering sweet nothings so much of my day's perplexities dissolved. I couldn't help but bring my hand up to see if the birds were OK.

And when I moved my hand in the careful way a man long in the sport does, I caught a glimpse of their two eggs just hatching at the very same moment.

Both of the parents knew it and they both wanted to be with their babies when they emerged into the world. I had never witnessed a more tender moment with pigeons.

They've taught me far more than I have ever taught them.